The education of our youth should not suffer a loss even in this time of pandemic. Being part of the solution is what we need more than ever in this time of crisis. As an educational institution committed to providing modern and quality education, we choose not to wait but instead to be hopeful and move forward to be part of creating a better future. The CIIT Senior High School embraces the “new normal” by offering a distinct online learning approach where students can study at their own pace and in the safety of their own homes.
Key Features of the CIIT Online Distance Learning
Manageable Study Load
The school year will be divided into two (2) semesters. A different set of subjects is offered per semester to cover more learning areas both in the core and strand specific courses. Each semester is broken down into two quarters. Each quarter is approximately eight (8) weeks each with a one (1) week break in between each quarter. This manageable study load allows students to better focus on their studies taking into consideration the dynamics of family life given that they are studying from home, and the toll of being online for long periods of time.
Adjusted Class Schedule
Classes are scheduled every Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM.
Each subject will follow weekly schedules that best suit the topic/ course and promote student engagement. All live streaming lectures will be recorded and uploaded in Canvas (Learning Management Software) along with all other instructional and assessment materials so that students may access them as much as they need to.
Length of streaming lectures are based on studies that conclude how attention and learning efficiency is best when kept within a shortened time frame.
Personalized learning and education will be made possible through CIIT’s Coaching Sessions. Students can set appointments with all their Instructors for an individual or small group coaching session where Instructors can give feedback and provide further enrichment or study material to students who have difficulty understanding important concepts or need feedback on their project outputs/ performance tasks.
Guidance and assistance on the mental and emotional conditions of our students will be an equally important focus of our well-trained academic team.
All subject materials, lectures, and presentations will be available for download and review in our LMS. Students may study at their own time and access these materials at their convenience.
As always, CIIT’s Academic program focuses on the output of the students, and this school year will be no exception. Requirements have been improved to adapt to the many new possibilities of the virtual setting.
Competence of Faculty in Online Teaching
Our Faculty are selected based on their skills in conducting and moderating online virtual classes. Most of our Faculty members have either had prior experience teaching in an online setting and/ or have undergone online workshops and certificate programs allowing them to discover creative and effective ways of teaching their respective subjects in a purely online setting.
They are also selected for their ability to empathize and serve as personal coaches to our students to help them navigate their academic load as well as their life challenges with hope and wisdom.
CIIT In Your Homes
CIIT will be making available to loan our high-spec lab PC units to all Students who are in need of a powerful workstation in the meantime. This brings the CIIT experience closer to the homes of our students. Contact your Admissions officer for details.
Internet For All
All our students can enjoy internet connectivity by purchasing Home Prepaid Wifi Kits from CIIT. We have secured an initial 200 kits from Globe to facilitate access to the devices. These are available until supplies last. Contact your Admissions officer for details.
Cloud Technologies At Your Fingertips
CIIT has partnered with some of the best organizations in the world to bring quality education and technologies in the homes of each CIIT Student. All students are provided individual licenses accessible at home from all their devices.
- Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) – the Virtual Classroom
- Google Suite – the Student’s most important tool
- Google Meet – Live streaming lectures
- Google Calendar – Appointments for Coaching Sessions
- Subject-related Industry Grade Software:
- Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
What to Expect from the CIIT SHS Online Classes?
The classes will be conducted using Canvas, the cloud based learning management system (LMS) CIIT subscribes to. All class activities such as lectures, instructional materials, assessments, submissions, discussions, grading and attendance among others will be done within the LMS. Each student will have their own Canvas account through which they and their parents can access all the content and information relevant and related to their classes and school activities.
- Students will be given virtual class schedules for each subject
- These subject schedules will be composed of live-streaming or pre recorded lectures, break out sessions, and consultations hours to be facilitated by the subject teacher
- Student attendance will be monitored but not required
- All lectures will also be recorded and uploaded in Canvas (LMS) for students to watch or replay at their own time
- The reduced duration for live-streaming lectures is based on the best practices shared by colleges and universities who have had extensive experience in conducting virtual classes. This may be supplemented with other pre-recorded videos by the Instructor.
- The heart and soul of this school year
- Students in a section within the specialization strand are each assigned an Advisory teacher who will serve as their mentor and help them manage their school performance, in collaboration with the student’s parents. The Advisory teacher shall be the point person for both student and parent concerns.
- Subject teachers will devote more time to coaching sessions. The coaching sessions will allow a more personalized learning experience that is focused on addressing individual student concerns for a particular subject.
- Students are strongly encouraged to schedule coaching sessions with their Subject/ Advisory teachers. These coaching sessions can be done one-on-one or together with their classmates.
- CIIT and the rest of the schools in the Philippines have limited experience in conducting fully virtual classes on such a scale, therefore, we also need to learn together, both faculty and students on how to improve the experience
- Faculty members and students will be regularly providing feedback for each other in both the live-streaming lectures as well as the coaching sessions
- Expected outcomes, rubrics and other assessment tools will be given in advance to guide both faculty and students in how they will be reviewed
Requirements to Attend CIIT SHS Online Distance Learning SY
While CIIT has adequately prepared its school operations to a purely virtual setting, Students enrolling in the online distance learning set-up will need the following in order to properly participate
- A laptop or desktop computer which the student can use exclusively during school hours.
- Below are the specs of the CIIT Lab Workstation for your reference:
- Processor: Intel Core i5 – 7600 / AMD Ryzen 5 – 2600
- Motherboard: ASUS EX-H110M-V / MSI A320M PRO-M2
- RAM: 8192 DDR4-2400
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / XPG SX6000 Lite 256GB M.2
- OS: Windows 10
- Monitor: 1920 x 1080
- Drawing Tablet: Wacom or Huion
- CIIT Lab desktop computers are available for loan for a monthly rental fee of P2,500 inclusive of insurance, exclusive of shipping
Stable broadband internet connection that is able to play live streaming videos during school hours, taking into consideration the simultaneous use of the internet by other family members.
Parents must be open to working with the school and being involved in managing their child’s performance. They should provide a home environment that is conducive to learning. The school will be communicating with parents regularly to keep them abreast on what is happening in the school and with their child. Parents should make time to go through the information provided and discuss them with their child as well.
A mindset that is open to learning in a virtual setting, maximizing the tools and resources available and adapting to the new normal is necessary. Students must be able to manage their school schedules and tasks with remote supervision of their teachers. They should be able to receive and give feedback using the online tools available.
Application and Enrollment
Online Learning can be overwhelming but with our personalized learning experience and coaching sessions, we can guarantee quality in your education. If you are an incoming Senior High School student who would like to make your imaginations come to life, we encourage you to be part of our Online Distance Learning program. You can enroll in our specialized tracks: Media and Visual Arts, Animation and Programming. If you would like to apply, simply go online or click the button below. If you need more information, please do not hesitate to email us at email@example.com.